NIGERIA-UNITED STATES RELATIONS, 1999 TO 2012
This research project answer the following questions
1) What is the historical background of Nigeria-US relations?
2) How does AGOA influence Nigeria-US economic relations from 1999 to 2012?
3) Does democracy and good governance affect Nigeria’s relation with the United States?
4) What effect does AFRICOM have on Nigeria’s relation with the United States?
5) How does internal and global terrorism affect Nigeria-US relations?
Download full research project from Here
1.1 Background to the Study
The history of’s foreign policy towards United States since 1960 has constantly been changing, though the principles guiding her foreign relations remain the same. Strategic events are largely responsible for the unstable external relationship between the two countries (Adebajo and Mustapha, 2008: 22). Since Nigeria’s foreign policy is deeply rooted in Africa with emphasis on political and economic cooperation, peaceful dispute resolution, and global nonalignment, Nigerian leaders also have their attention fixed on the successful implementation of these principles which sometimes come in conflict with the US foreign goals.
Historically, Nigeria at independence began to conduct her foreign relations under the political and governmental leadership of its Prime Minister, the late Alhaji (Sir). His administration emphasized Africa to be centre-piece of Nigeria’s foreign policy. His own foreign relations was pro-West particular with Britain, Nigeria’s erstwhile colonial master. With the…
View original post 2,207 more words